Hi everyone! I hope you’re having a great day! Here’s more helpful training and motivation tips from Olympian Jeff Galloway.
Why do we get injured?
1. Be aware of irritation of weak links.
The Key Weak Links are body parts where my runners tend to experience injuries are these: Knees – Feet – Calf – Achilles – Hip – Glute/piriformis/sciaticia
But the body parts that YOU need to be aware of are the sites where you are injured or suffer more aches and pains.
So, if you’re sensitive to the first indication of irritation in these areas and take immediate action it’s possible to avoid injury.
2. Stress buildup due to the way we train.
- Training schedule is too intense-not enough rest between stress.
- Adverse Training Components-speed is too fast or has too much, too soon.
- Running form-too long a stride, forward lean, bouncing too high off the ground.
Staying focused on the way one runs and following these guidelines, can often allow runners to maintain a manageable increase without injury.
Top 5 ways to avoid stress buildup and avoid injuries
1. Take walk breaks more frequently, and run shorter run segments
2. Form: shorter stride, feet low to the ground
3. Slower long runs, with more walk breaks
4. Avoid Stretching
5. Be careful when running speed sessions
Register now for the Jeff Galloway 13.1 with no risk! The 2nd annual half marathon on Dec. 13, 2015 is currently $95. You can sign up with no risk! Take advantage of this low price, and if you can’t make it, you can roll into the virtual option with no extra charge!
Register today at
WEST COAST EVENTS
Carmel, CA Lake Tahoe, CA
“Re-Charging Your Running, Fitness and Nutrition” The Perfect Summer Running Camp
April 23-24, 2015 July 23 – 30, 2015 (week)
Have a great week and happy running!!
As a Galloway blogger, I’ve been provided tips by Jeff Galloway to share with my readers. There is no compensation for this post.
As you know, I’m now a Jeff Galloway blogger and I’ll be providing training and motivation tips regularly from Jeff. I followed his program for my last marathon and got a PR!
Here are some pointers for this week:
Training and Motivation Tips
by Olympian Jeff Galloway
- The training journey for a marathon or half marathon raises your body’s physical performance capability and your sense of what you can do in life.
- Running helps to bring body, mind and spirit together in a unique and wonderful way
- In researching my book MENTAL TRAINING I discovered that running turns on brain circuits for a better attitude more vitality and empowerment better than other activities studied.
- In researching my book RUNNING UNTIL YOU’RE 100, I found numerous studies showing that runners have healthier orthopedic units than non runners even after decades of running.
- When a runner takes walk breaks early and often enough for the individual the muscles are strong to the end. See RUN WALK RUN at www.jeffgalloway.com for recommendations by pace per mile.
- The “exhaustion wall” can be avoided by running longer long runs up to or beyond race distance-using the appropriate run-walk-run strategy.
- Marathoners tend to improve time by an average of more than 15 minutes when they increase their longest run from 20 miles to 26 miles.
- To recover fast, run the long runs at least 2 min/mi slower than you could currently run in a marathon
- The right run-walk-run strategy from the beginning of each run, gives any runner control over fatigue, injury-elimination, and recovery.
- In numerous surveys, runners improved over 13 minutes when they shifted from running continuously to use of the right run-walk-run strategy.
Looking to run a half marathon or marathon that goes beyond the ordinary? RUN ITALY Tours offers more than others do and travel with “Coach Jeff”.
March 22, 2015 – Rome Marathon 26.2, 13.1 and 5K distances
Book NOW at www.RunITALY.com!
Have a great week!